For Immediate Release
Posted: August 22, 2022

Contact

Shelly Angers, NH Department of Natural & Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136 | shelly.angers@dncr.nh.gov

Seedlings aren’t the only thing growing at the NH State Forest Nursery – so are sales

For the fifth season running, seedling sales at the N.H. State Forest Nursery in Boscawen continue to outpace the previous year’s marks.

Sales income increased 52 percent from 2021’s record-breaking season and reflected a 146.7 percent increase since 2018. The total number of orders was up 37.6 percent from last year, nearly doubling – 96.5 percent – compared to five years ago.

The number of seedlings lifted, sorted for quality, packaged and sold increased 50.8 percent from 2021, a 135.2 percent jump from 2018.

“The sustained growth of sales at the State Forest Nursery is a testament to the reputation that we have of growing quality seedlings,” said Billy Kunelius, N.H. State Forest Nursery manager. “During the past few years, as people have been reconnecting to nature and the environment, our seedlings and packages aren’t just selling well – many are selling out quickly.”

The percentage of orders totaling $100 held steady at 66 percent, indicating that a majority of customers are working on smaller projects. The average order totaled $143.33.

More than four dozen species of conifers, hardwoods, shrubs and combination packages are available from the Nursery. Seedlings are grown on site at the Nursery from seed and are not imported or transplanted from other sources. This ensures that they are well adapted to the climate in New Hampshire and surrounding states.

New Hampshire customers represented 70 percent of all orders. Additional New England states made up 25 percent of orders, with the Northeast region totaling nearly 95 percent of all customers.

Each year, the State Forest Nursery grows three million seedlings on 16 acres of irrigated, outdoor seedbeds; it also has 20 acres dedicated to seed orchards and testing areas. The Nursery is located within the 880-acre state forest in Boscawen.

For more information about New Hampshire’s State Forest Nursery, visit nh.gov/nhnursery.  

Established in 1910, the N.H. State Forest Nursery’s mission is to grow and distribute quality, bare-root seedlings for forestry, conservation and education purposes. The Nursery facility and program are administered by the N.H. Division of Forests and Lands, which is part of the N.H. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. For more information about the N.H. Division of Forests and Lands, visit nh.gov/nhdfl

###