FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 19, 2018
Agriculture, education, commerce sites added to NH State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added eight properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places. The new listings represent a broad range of buildings and sites that influenced their communities as far back as the American Revolution.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
– Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
– Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; and
– Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants.
Wilder Farm in Alstead is a classic Greek Revival example of a connected farm dating to the mid-nineteenth century; its freestanding brick smokehouse is an unusual feature. Charles Wilder, whose family owned the property from 1852-1948, was the subject of Elinor Whitney’s 1930 children’s book, “Timothy and the Blue Cart.”
Significant for its role in educating generations of students, the Chatham Center School, while the largest of the town’s schoolhouses, never enrolled more than 30 students at one time. Moved to its current location in 1957, the one and one-half story white clapboarded building has a corrugated metal roof and appears to have its original six-pane window sashes.
Built at the time of the American Revolution, Folsom Tavern hosted George Washington in 1789. Located near the center of downtown Exeter, it is part of the American Independence Museum and retains many of its original Georgian features, including symmetry, pediments, pilasters and wood paneling.
Lancaster’s Parker J. Noyes Building was home to one of the leading drug manufacturers in New England in the early twentieth century. A familiar building type on New Hampshire Main Streets, with commercial space on the first floor and offices and apartments above, its Italianate details reflect the ambition of Noyes, who invented the sugar-coating process for pills in 1894.
Littleton Public Library has been instrumental in providing programming for the community’s children and adults, along with circulating books and other media, for generations. As part of his philanthropic support of libraries, Andrew Carnegie donated $15,000 to build the two-story brick Georgian Revival building, which opened to the public in 1906.
Ira Miller’s General Store was once the largest general store in Milton Mills, stocking groceries, shoes, oil, drugs, hardware and farm implements. Its lunch counter with stools, bead board siding on the walls and ceiling and wood floors are still in place, as is a marble slab reading “IRA MILLER” in a pediment above the second floor.
The District 9 Schoolhouse in Sutton was built in 1863 to replace another school that was lost to fire that same year. It was the center of education for grades one through eight until 1945 and was used by seventh and eighth graders from 1949-1954, when a central school opened in Sutton Mills. Today, it serves the community as a museum open for Old Home Day and other special occasions.
West Concord’s West Congregational Church has been in continuous use since it was completed in 1871. Built with granite from a local quarry, its Gothic Revival features include a corner tower entry with original round-arch double-leaf wooden doors and granite steps, as well as stained glass windows.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.