Celebrate the New Year with New Hampshire State Parks
What better way to kick-off 2019 than with a hike within a New Hampshire State Park on January 1, 2019. For the ninth year, New Hampshire State Parks will host free hikes in 5 parks on New Year’s Day as part of America’s State Parks First Day Hikes. These hikes provide the opportunity for individuals and families to welcome in 2019 in the outdoors, exercising and connecting with nature.
New Hampshire First Day Hike locations are listed below; each location registration begins at 12:00 p.m.
- Silver Lake State Park: Hollis Trails Committee, Beaver Brook Nature Center, Nor’easters Snowmobile Club and park staff will be on hand to assist with a pet friendly self-guided 1 mile hike in the park and along the abutting Woodmont Orchard.
- Wentworth-Coolidge Mansion State Historic Site: The Society of New Hampshire Forests volunteer land stewards will be on hand to interpret a hike along the Little Harbor Loop Trail. It is considered an easy hike, 1.5 miles in length, and will take approximately 1-1.5 hours to hike at a casual rate.
- Milan Hill State Park: Park staff and Nansen Ski Club volunteers will host cross country skiers and snowshoers of all skill levels on 16km of groomed cross country ski trails.
- Pisgah State Park: The Friends of Pisgah State Park, with the help of park staff, will offer a gentle 2 mile round trip hike along the Doolittle trail leaving from park headquarters.
- Bear Brook State Park: Derry Trail Riders volunteers and park staff will offer an easy 1.25-mile self-guided hike along Catamount Pond exercise trail. Weather permitting there will be free horse drawn wagon rides.