FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 30, 2018
Airport hangar, stone tavern among properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added eight properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
–Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
–Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; and
–Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants.
The following are the most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places:
Alexandria Town Hall’s Craftsman details are unusual both in Alexandria and among New Hampshire town halls. It has served the needs of local organizations, including the Cardigan Grange, from the time it was built in 1913 and it remains the site of the town’s deliberative session and town meeting.
The George Gamble Library in Danbury combines Colonial Revival and Queen Anne style architectural details; its rusticated concrete block exterior, stuccoed pediment and original double-leaf wood paneled doors are among its original well-preserved features. Built in 1911, it continues to serve Danbury’s literary needs today.
The Stone House Tavern has been the site of hospitality in Chesterfield since 1831, functioning as a tavern, stagecoach stop, tea room, restaurant and inn. The Federal style building, with an older ell that was moved and attached to serve as a kitchen, has a second floor ballroom.
St. John’s United Methodist Church was the largest house of worship in Jefferson when it was built in 1868; members built three smaller chapels to accommodate the region’s summer visitors. Originally painted red, the Italianate style building remains nearly unchanged on the outside and is now home to the historical society.
One of the earliest Colonial Revival churches in Belknap County, the First Unitarian Universalist Church in Laconia is also considered one of the finest. Built in 1939-40, its central square tower, shallow projecting front pavilion, small portico and octagonal belfry distinguish this local landmark.
Since 1929, Parlin Field Hangar has been part of Newport’s Corbin Field, one of twelve municipally-owned general aviation airports in New Hampshire. The hangar is an example of a pre-fabricated metal utilitarian building that rose in use and popularity during the early days of airplane travel.
One of only three Shingle style buildings in Walpole, Bridge Memorial Library stands out for both its native fieldstone and wood-shingled façades. Built in 1891, it was designed by architect W.R. Emerson, who also designed buildings in Newport, R.I., Bar Harbor, Maine and the National Zoo.
Joined by a circa 1912 ell, Wilmot Town Hall and the District 1 Schoolhouse have served multiple functions in Wilmot for more than 100 years. While the white clapboarded Town Hall is fairly plain, the Schoolhouse – which became the town library in the early 1970s – has Greek Revival details.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the N.H. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.