FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 30, 2019
NH State Register of Historic Places adds variety of
influential community buildings
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added five properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places. In addition to their architectural significance, each has played important roles in the development of their communities.
Gorham Congregational Church and Parsonage each include architectural details from the eras in which they were built. The church building was constructed in 1862 when the Italianate style was popular; the parsonage, built in 1890, is a local version of the Queen Anne style. A three-tiered dome-capped bell tower on the church replaced the original spire during a 1904 renovation.
First Congregational Church in Littleton was dedicated on Independence Day 1833. Built in the Greek Revival style, it underwent a major renovation in 1874 that included the addition of imposing Gothic Revival corner towers, while a chapel, added ca. 1883, incorporates Stick Style elements. Several of the church’s leaders in the early and mid-19th century were strong supporters of public education.
An early example of the philanthropic movement that funded the construction of libraries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Frost Free Library in Marlborough was built in 1865-66 from locally cut granite and is a classic example of Greek Revival architecture. Its benefactor, Rufus Frost, grew up locally and funded both the building and its collection.
When its population doubled in the decades following the demise of the Indian Stream Republic, Pittsburg decided to build a dedicated government building. Built in 1883, its Town Hall, although simple in form, does include decorative corner pilasters and Italianate scrolled brackets. The building is nearly identical to the town hall in nearby Stewartstown.
Designed by E.C. Cummings and built in 1905, the Academic Building on the campus of Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro exhibits the strong symmetry associated with Classical Revival architecture. A steel structure clad in tan brick, the building’s notable features include paired Ionic columns supporting the gable-front portico at its entrance.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.