2019-04-30: Pickering House in Wolfeboro named to National Register of Historic Places2019-04-30T12:53:34-04:00

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 30, 2019

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Natural & Cultural Resources
603-271-3136
shelly.angers@dncr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHDNCR

Pickering House in Wolfeboro named to National Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources has announced that the Pickering House in Wolfeboro has been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places.

A connected building comprised of a main dwelling (ca. 1813), two ells (ca. 1843 and 1870) and a large barn (ca. 1813), Pickering House has evolved from a Federal-era tavern to its current appearance with Greek Revival and Italianate detailing.

The building takes its name from Daniel Pickering, whose family owned the property from the time his brother John built it until 1910 when Pickering’s grandchildren sold it.

Settled in the late 18th century, Wolfeboro began as an agricultural community whose businesses included blacksmiths, shoemakers, tanners and shipbuilders. For 200 years, its mills manufactured products mainly based on the timber industry, including lumber, excelsior and tool handles.

Wolfeboro’s other major industry has been tourism. The town lays claim to be “the Oldest Summer Resort in America” based on the farm Gov. John Wentworth built in 1766 on what is now known as Lake Wentworth.

Both a merchant and a manufacturer, Pickering owned a woolen and satinet mill as well as a gristmill and tannery that supplied leather for his shoe business. He owned much of the land on either side of South Main Street, developing some for business purposes and donating others for civic use.

Pickering was the town’s first postmaster and helped found the town’s first secondary school and first Congregational Church. He also was appointed secretary to the school that eventually became Brewster Academy.

Pickering served on several boards, including the Winnipesaukee Steamboat Company, which built the “Lady of the Lake” steamboat that was designed for commercial lake travel in 1849.

Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of historical resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archaeological resources.

Listing to the National Register does not impose any new or additional restrictions or limitations on the use of private or non-federal properties. Listings identify historically significant properties and can serve as educational tools and increase heritage tourism opportunities. The rehabilitation of National Register-listed commercial or industrial buildings may qualify for certain federal tax provisions.

In New Hampshire, listing to the National Register makes applicable property owners eligible for grants such as the Land and Community Heritage Investment Program or LCHIP (lchip.org) and the Conservation License Plate Program (nh.gov/nhdhr/grants/moose).

For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit nh.gov/nhdhr or contact the Division of Historical Resources at 603-271-3583.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the N.H. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.

###