FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 30, 2020
Four aspects of life in NH represented by new additions to State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added four properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
Originally an observation tower built in 1898, St. John’s on the Lake Chapel was purchased by the Episcopalian Diocese in 1926 to serve Meredith’s summer residents. The tower was enclosed in wooden shingles and a stone chapel was added to it, resulting in a mix of Gothic, Rustic and Shingle architectural styles. A former railroad train bell installed in the attic connects to a rope pull accessible from the first floor.
A travel and tourism fixture in Meredith for nearly 200 years, the circa 1800 post-and-beam Nutmeg Inn has been a tavern, an inn, a boarding school, a dinner theatre and is currently a bed and breakfast. From 1927-1937, it served as regional headquarters for the Girl Scouts, functioning as a leader training and conference center as well as a summer camp.
The Parish House in Lee was built in 1873. It is part of a small town streetscape that includes the town hall, town annex, church and library. The eight-room house’s architectural details include a double leaf door with acid-etched glass and a flat-roofed door hood supported by Italianate-style brackets. Occupied by the Lee Church Congregational until the 2000s, the building was later used as a private residence for church members in need.
Durham’s Wagon Hill Farm remained an active farm for nearly 300 years. Its circa 1804 2½ story farmhouse is a Federal style building with later Greek Revival details that retains interior woodwork and fireplaces. The surrounding 139 acres extend from the Oyster River across the highway to the Madbury town line and include more than 50 acres of open fields, stone walls, farm roads, wells and a family burial ground.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.