FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 3, 2021
NH State Register of Historic Places’ new listings span three centuries of history
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added six properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1879, Andover Town Hall’s Italianate details include bracketed window and door hoods, paired ornate bracketing along the eaves and wide corner brackets; the distinctive “1879” in the front gable appears to have always been an upside-down “2.” After the town offices relocated from the building in the 1960s, it served as a chair factory, professional offices and is currently a community center.
The Albert Ball House in Claremont was built circa 1885 as the home of the co-founder of Sullivan Machinery, at one point New Hampshire’s largest machine company. Ball’s personal workshop, where he worked on inventions that received more than 130 federal patents, was in the walkout basement. The Queen Anne-style house’s architectural details include square, triangular and scale-shaped shingles as well as a classic “Stick-Victorian” sunburst panel with hanging finial in one gable.
Local investors in Derry designed Association Hall in 1875 to have commercial space on the first floor, auditorium space on the second and meeting space for St. Mark’s Lodge of Freemasons on the third. A well-preserved example of Second Empire architecture, its most significant features are its mansard roof, window pediments – ten of which have Masonic symbols – and heavy curved double brackets with drop pendants.
Hillsborough Center Cemetery was founded circa 1790 on land donated by John Hill, one of the town’s original proprietors. The cemetery contains approximately 400 burial markers in mixed styles and materials ranging from slate with curved tympanums and urn and weeping willow designs to those made from marble and granite. In keeping with an 18th-century New Hampshire law requiring burial grounds to have fences and gates, the cemetery is enclosed by a stone wall.
The Keene Unitarian Universalist Church’s two different architectural styles reflect the periods in which the sections were built. The 1894 church’s Gothic Revival elements are made from granite quarried at the nearby Roxbury Granite Company; they harmonize with the church’s Tudor-style stucco gables and diamond-paned leaded glass windows. An attached contemporary-style education wing, added in 1959-60, incorporates Kalwall, a prefabricated exterior material still made in Manchester, N.H.
Although it was moved from its original location in 1990, Londonderry’s Morrison House, circa 1760, remains one of the oldest standing capes in town and is the only surviving building from one of its earliest settled areas, which is now commercially developed. Members of the Morrison family, who moved to the area – then known as Nutfield – in 1719, owned the property until 1924.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974 and is part of the NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship, and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.